Tuesday, March 22, 2011

sleepy

Today is a sleepy day.  I was up until way too late talking to a good friend about a situation.  I wanted to be off of the phone by at least 1:30, but I was on the phone til about 2:30, maybe even 3ish. Then I had to get up at 6... it's ok, because I was sleeping on the couch anyway, which was really comfy and my dogs laid with me and then the little black cat curled up next to me, which was simply adorable.

Some new things are going on in my life.  First, I've put too many "daily tasks" on my list and now am escaping from them by sleeping in the living room, because I know I have to do the tasks in my room. How silly?

So, I've discovered this thing called "hooping" from a lady over at the Goddess Circle. Hooping is... well hula hooping with advanced skills and tricks and things like that! Since discovering this... I've become obsessed with the need to START doing it, so I bought a hula hoop from: Stellarsunshinehoops over at Etsy.  She is one rockin' chick! I got a custom designed hoop and it is actually going to be featured as a hoop design in her shop! :D It's not up yet, but soon enough. and when I get the hoop in the mail, you can look for a picture here! :D I am so excited to try it out. My brother's girlfriend also ordered one, which should be here the day after mine.

I have also put up a lot of goals for the year.  I am going to finish my goddess planner for 2011 this weekend or FRIDAY, when I have off. :) I am switching to a raw diet by the end of the summer.  It's funny because I can't eat "regular" food anymore.  Everything has no taste to me and I can just taste the chemicals and the... disgusting-ness of the food. I threw out half a sandwich yesterday because I couldn't taste the contents of the meal... it just tasted like.... blah and bad for me. It's amazing how after 3 weeks of mostly avoiding processed food that your taste buds can change THAT much. I am shocked, but loving every minute of it! :)

and I just got bad news. my aunt just went into the hospital. She went there because she has bronchitis and she wanted to get medicine, but it turns out her heart went out or rhythm.  She had heart problems when she was younger and everything has been clear for years, but she is in the hospital again. My mom just text me and said she was taking meds for bronchitis and they might have thrown her heart out of rhythm.

Today I am going to start a little school study and am kind of excited for it. I am going to adapt some forms for my population and see what I can do to help some people out.  I am so excited about it.

Then, I find out my supervisor isn't here, which is ok, but not necessarily good.  First, it's ok, because then I can use her office when I have students to meet with.  It's not good, because she was supposed to be here and something must have come up and we all know it's not exactly good when things just "come up."

Yesterday was a really good day. I had my field supervisor in at my field placement for the final visit.  He talked to my field supervisor while I was doing a group session in a classroom and I came in to meet them afterwards.  Apparently my field supervisor had no idea that I have no experience with special education or disabilities and I originally had no interest in going into that area.  She says I am so good with the groups and with adapting things for the kids that she thought I had a huge knowledge base on this.  It was kinda flattering.. and she said I have a natural talent. She was telling my supervisor that I am excelling with a group that all interns in the past have struggled with, due to the wide range of needs in that classroom. It made me feel so good... she has been telling me a lot of amazing things this week and it's been making my self-esteem and self-perception flutter like a butterfly on a soft breeze.  It feels so good to be recognized and well... told that you're doing a GREAT job! I thought I was doing terribly, but after all, I'm doing better than any previous intern. I mean, it's quite amazing... I'm so happy and I am so sad that I'll be leaving this place in a month.

I am thinking now that I may look into special education for my career.  This experience has taught me a LOT and really helped me along my journey.  I have seen so many kids flourish here... it's been so gorgeous.. and lovely and heart warming. It's so amazing when you're talking to a student who is usually so closed in and then you see them smile for the first time... and completely relax. It's amazing when you see a student understand something new and they say "I got it!!" This is what I've lived to see... this is what I've wanted to do, but I've just never known it.

What's your passion? What makes your clock tick? Have you even realized it yet? I didn't realize mine until this internship... sometimes it just takes a life event for us to wake up and smell the... cacao!

With so much love from my heart to yours,

Amanda*

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! I received your Gift Certificates today and I'm so excited! I really don't know what to choose from the store, butI know I'm going to love whatever I choose. I've put a Thank You to you on my blog and I'll post one to you as well, when I have time to make one.

    It's great to hear that you like, and have a talent for, special education. I studied it at college (30 years ago - AAARGH! Am I really that old?!) but didn't really find that it suited me. I taught for a year in a Special School, but finally ended up in mainstream education. Mind you, the special school was good for me as that's where I met Mr D! He was doing voluntary work at the school, because he was unemployed at the time - but his last day at the school was my first day...We only just met! How lucky was that?!

    I hope you find fulfillment in your work. I'll keep popping back to read your blog. I hope you'll read mine too. (Both of them!) Thanks again for the wonderful Door Prize. I'm so lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Special education is a super important career. IMO, special education teachers should be among the highest paid teachers in the country.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what's on your mind. <3