Monday, January 19, 2015

MLK

Today is Martin Luther King Jr day.  When I was a kid I fondly remember going to my grandparents house on MLK day because the schools were closed in honor of the holiday and my parents still had to work.

When I was in 6th grade I remember a "MLK Day" reading of the "I Have a Dream" speech,  Two at a time, my class held banners of each line of the speech and had to say it out loud, while walking into the gymnasium where all of the school was gathered.  I remember freaking out and becoming so nervous about the idea that I had to say a line exactly right in front of all these people... so I didn't go to school that day. I was terrified. I feel bad now that I didn't do it... apparently a few others were too nervous to do it as well. I know that the reading of the poem went well though and that's the important part... honoring MLK in a way as special as that.

As I was growing up I remember volunteering every year on this holiday.  It's a day off of work and school for a lot of people... but it's important to remember that today is about honoring a man and his dream.

This year I had to work, but hopefully next year I can volunteer again.

Information about Dr. King and MLK day

Today I have been reflecting on life... what I have thanks to those who fought for our country... our rights... and our lives.  I am so thankful for everything I have in this life and my ability to give back.

Volunteering is something that has always been very near and dear to my heart, all year round... and in 2015 I am hoping that I will dedicate time in my schedule to volunteer at least once a month.


I've become wrapped up in my schedule lately... working 2 jobs it's hard to find time for anything else.. but I need to remember that helping others is the most important part... and there is always time for others.

Love me





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what's on your mind. <3