Monday, May 2, 2011

Labels

I was thinking the other day. You know when you give yourself that label that you've been working really hard for? Like.. "Artist" "writer" anything... and as you create or do your work you are constantly worried if you are doing it right... because each label has it's set rules and expectations. People have certain expectations for people who go by certain labels. There are so many things tied to labels... so many strings and each string is different to each person, which adds even more tension and negative and... "ah i have to meet the expectations" kinda jittery feelings.  Even with relationships. Have you ever felt that extra tension that builds when you suddenly go from just "seeing eachother" to "boyfriend/girlfriend, boyfriend/boyfriend, girlfriend/girlfriend" or "dating" to "engaged"? That's from the label! There are so many expectations and there's so much STRESS attached to that new title. It hurts! and sometimes we may even loose enthusiasm for what we KNOW we love to do or the person we know we really enjoy being with... all because of a label. Isn't that silly?? but I know how it feels. I've been noticing these tensions for years now and I just made a connection.

So let's say you're an artist.  When you create, if you are selling your work... or even if you're not you are constantly wondering if people are going to like your work. You're constantly worrying about other people, not yourself. So then let's say as an artist you decide to write a little story -- you write it because you are in the moment and you pour your soul into that piece of writing. You wrote it for you... not for anyone else, but people LOVE your writing and then you start to think... "i never knew i could be a good writer"

so then let's say you're a writer and you paint or do some art just for the fun of it, but it's not for other people. it's for you... but people love it and think you're an artist.


how cool is that?

The labels add so much stress to our lives... so much PRESSURE to us... why can't we just BE ourselves without the pressure.. and enjoy doing lots of things.

so let's say... remove the labels. don't say "who" or "what" you are/do. Just BE you! Do you in anyway you know how... create, listen. play... whatever makes your spirit sing!!!

oh and love it while you're doing it!

:)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amanda! I missed this post. I can relate to this post well. In my case I see "labels" as expectations. To some extent the society or the people around you (family, relatives, colleagues) expect something from you. Common expectations for a woman in my country include being in a relationship, getting married, kids, promotion, material things like a car a new home.. these are people expect. Problem is what if you can't comply with the society or people imposed standards? You are impliedly seen differently or in simpler terms discriminated / underestimated...As much as I want to become who I am, the people around us become antagonists in our own lives. But I think the real test for us is how are we able to handle this, will I choose to follow what other people say or be firm and be myself. Insightful post!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what's on your mind. <3